Electrical Engineer - Power Systems, Protection, & Studies (Mid & Sr Level)
Company: Pure Power Engineering
Posted on: July 30, 2022
Pure Power Engineering is looking for a Electrical Power Engineer
to provide support to our engineering team. This role provides a
tremendous opportunity for development in the rapidly growing solar
power industry and work collaboratively and cooperatively with
various team members and clients.About Pure PowerPure Power is an
engineering firm specializing in designing big, challenging, and
high-profile Solar PV systems. As a full-service engineering firm,
we create the electrical and structural drawings and calculation
packages for bidding, permits, and construction, as well as
supporting the lead up to the full engineering drawings, primarily
interconnection support and electrical/structural feasibility
studies.Founded in 2012, Pure Power has experienced 9 consecutive
years of revenue and personnel growth. You will be coming into a
culture of constant education, improvement, and teamwork. We place
an emphasis on training and professional development, which results
in an extremely low turnover rate and employees that stay and grow
with the company for a long time. Responsibilities Provide
technical leadership to our team in designing medium and
large-scale solar and energy storage projects. Responsibilities
include the following: General
- Provide technical guidance to design teams.
- Prepare a variety of technical reports, documents, and
- Standardize processes and procedures.
- Provide mentorship and training to new and junior engineering
personnel. Electrical Engineering
- Design protection and relaying systems.
- Value engineering.
- Create designs, details, and drawings.
- Prepare equipment specifications.
- Specify pad mounted and pole mounted equipment.
- Review contractor's equipment submittals and shop
- Site assessment and analysis both from on-site data collection
and network tools.
- Attend system startup and utility witness tests.
- Create and review commissioning reports and testing
- Review and lead technical discussions on power system studies
to ensure grid compliance with the Interconnection Agreement,
prudent industry standards (IEEE, ANSI, NEC, NESC), and owner
- Designs will include medium voltage systems up to 34.5kV.
Design of ground grids and effective grounding systems.Power
- Develop tools to assist in power system studies and data
- Develop and review electrical power system studies for
Photovoltaic, Wind and BESS systems which include the following:
Load flow/reactive power, Cable Ampacity (above and underground
thermal), AC/DC short circuit, AC/DC Arc Flash, Grounding,
Harmonics, Insulation Coordination, Protective Coordination
- Build models in ETAP & SKM by using input information from the
- Ensure studies and calculations are updated to keep consistency
with project latest changes. Involved close coordination with the
design team Knowledge of Utility Standards & Incentive
- Understand each utility's requirements, handbook
- Develop relationships and a network of key personnel at
- Maintaining a current working knowledge of utility regulatory
- Review NERC, PUCT, ERCOT, PJM, MISO, and CAISO standards.
- Knowledge of State or utility incentive programs' technical
- Ensure our designs are compliant with all requirements. Relay
- Understanding of relay protection schemes, control schematics,
and settings. Provide remote field support to the relay test
engineers during installation of settings.Coordinate with
Pure-Power's in-house engineers on the construction documents.
- Review drawings to ensure compliance with all requirements of
the utility, IA and power studies.
- Perform and support a variety of interconnection studies with
outside utilities. Coordinate 3rd party engineering firms
- Coordinate with civil and structural engineering firms
- Substation design firms.
- Power study firms.
- Experience with utility scale distribution design and power
- 2+ years performing studies for Short Circuit, Load Flow, Arc
Flash, Coordination, Volt-VAR, Harmonics, Lightning and Transient
analysis using ETAP, SKM or similar modeling software.
- 2+ years' experience working with AutoCAD with an understanding
of layer control, dimensioning and scaling, sheet sets, blocks,
xrefs, line weights, plot files, and file transmission.
- Strong understanding of NEC, NESC and IEEE 1547.
- Strong understanding of PV, BESS, DER and Microgrid
- Ability to communicate among construction, technical and
non-technical personnel, both internally and outside the company.
- Professional engineering (PE) license.
- Ability to lead technical discussions among HV EPCs, Power
Utilities, and internal stakeholders.
- Understanding of IEEE standards as it relates to grounding,
arc-flash, insulation coordination, harmonics, etc
- 5+ years' experience in relay and protection design.
- Experience with substation design.
- Experience with microgrid design.
- Experience in traditional building design with a MEP firm.
- Hands on experience commissioning, testing, and troubleshooting
solar PV systems.
- NABCEP certification.
- MS in electrical engineering, or other related discipline.
LocationThis position will be based out of our exciting downtown
Hoboken, NJ Headquarters. Pure Power Engineering offers the
flexibility to work a hybrid in-office and work-from-home weekly
schedule. We are next to public transportation options from NYC and
Northern NJ. We also provide a private parking spot for the days
when an employee wishes to drive to the office.Compensation and
BenefitsWe offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
We pay 100% of our employee benefits costs and offer healthcare
plans, dental, vision and 401K matching.Equal Opportunity
EmployerPure Power is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that
values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive
workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train
and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status,
disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize
that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of
Keywords: Pure Power Engineering, Hoboken , Electrical Engineer - Power Systems, Protection, & Studies (Mid & Sr Level), Professions , Hoboken, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!