Senior DevOps Engineer - Assistant Director Level 1
Company: Ernst Young
Posted on: June 15, 2022
At EY, you'll have the chance to build a career as unique as you
are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and
technology to become the best version of you. And we're counting on
your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better,
too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and
a better working world for all.
Reporting to the Co-Development Lead - The DevOps Engineer is
responsible for participating in scrum team-based activities that
are assigned to Tax portfolio initiatives.
The role is responsible for providing subject matter expertise in
relation to virtualization & cloud technologies, engineering of new
solutions to meet customer needs and building of new automation
around IaaS, PaaS, and Network-as-a-service in support of our
The position is a hands-on technical role, assisting in the
engineering and integration of existing and leading-edge
technologies, collaborating across the organization with multiple
internal and sometimes external teams. The candidate would be
expected to provide Level 3 (engineering support) and Level 4
(engineering development) type of activities that ensure continuity
of the produced solutions that enable businesses. The candidate may
be expected to serve as a technical lead on appropriate
engagements, ensuring quality and on time delivery within the
EY Technology supports our technology needs through three business
- Client Technology (CT) - focuses on developing new technology
services for our clients. It enables EY to identify new
technology-based opportunities faster and pursue those
opportunities more rapidly.
- Enterprise Technology (ET) - ET supports our Core Business
Services functions and will deliver fit-for-purpose technology
infrastructure at the most affordable possible cost for quality
services. ET will also support our internal technology needs by
focusing on a better user experience.
- Information Security (Info Sec) - Info Sec prevents, detects,
responds and mitigates cyber-risk, protecting EY and client data,
and our information management systems.
Your key responsibilities
Analytical/Decision Making Responsibilities:
- Broad range of work, sometimes complex and non-routine, in
variety of environments
- Interactions with various levels if IT and client serving
- Ability to drive issues to closure and work well within a
- A good level of managerial competenceExcellent people
- Excellent awareness of different cultures and working practices
across the regions
- Good presentation skills with ability to present material
clearly and concisely to senior and/or executive management
Skills and attributes for success
- Broad understanding of global environments, including regional
issues and differences.
- Demonstrated experience working with a distributed
international team, across cultures and time zones with minimal
- Strong ability to interact with all levels of the
- Taking ownership of assigned issues/enhancements/features and
helping to define a plan and related coordination activities to
provide an end to end solution.
- Proactively anticipates problems before they occur; identifies
possible causes; works with team to identify solutions; selects and
implements most appropriate solution.
- Proactively raising issues to Engineering Lead.
- Produce documents which contain clear, precise descriptive
- Providing 3rd/4th level support for all solutions produced by
- Applies judgment in implementing methodologies, processes, and
practices to specific requirements of projects/programs which may
include product design engineering, information security, code
maintainability and reliability.
- Provide required training and support to other peer teams for
newly designed and developed functionality.
- Utilize approved tools, adopt key performance indicators
(KPIs), increase technology component reuse, and consolidate
platforms, environments and products with the goal of reducing
overall IT costs.
- Proven solution design skillsBeing able to script and automate
a solution end-to-end (infrastructure, middleware and application
Additional skills requirements:
- Must demonstrate leadership in a dynamic, fast paced
environment with shifting priorities and tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills and negotiation skills.
- Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities,
ambiguity and rapid change.
- Ability to work independently in a global organization within
the context of a virtual team.
- Experience in selecting and applying service management
principles, policies and techniques in client operational
- Customer focused with ability to identify and understand
- Able to adapt to change at short notice.
- Creative problem solving and analysis skills with an ability to
identify develop and implement solutions to gaps to meet the needs
of the business.
- A self-starting individual with a strong work ethic capable of
planning and managing own time effectively. Ability to perform
under pressure and to work using own initiative as well as part of
- Assertive in potentially difficult situations, engaging
diplomacy where necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written (including presentation)
communication, influencing and interpersonal skills.
- Able to build relationships and network at all levels.
- Able to demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
- Able to think laterally to consider options which will optimize
the requirements of the business.
- Takes personal responsibility for making things happen and
achieving results. Displays motivation, commitment, perseverance
- Fluent English skills in speech and writing.
- Communicative personality.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Self-supporting and independent attitude.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and work to reduce this ambiguity
wherever possible within all work output
- Experience of working in large brown and green field
What we look for:
- Someone that has defined authority and responsibility for a
significant area of work, including technical, financial and
- Establishes functional objectives and delegates
- Accountable for actions and decisions taken by self and team
- Due to our global organization and global operating model there
may be cross border reporting lines (no direct team lead within the
- This position may have direct reports in different
- This position may require serving in a counselor role and
mentoring assigned personnel while ensuring quality
- Your manager may be based in another country.
Ideally, you'll also have:
- Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent
- Experience of IT service business and engineering of multi-year
- From 10-15 years plus of demonstrable enterprise level IT
- Cloud (5 years) in an engineering role using service and
hosting solutions such as private/public cloud IaaS, PaaS and SaaS
platforms. Experience in engineer technical solutions for
Microsoft-centric solutions based on industry standards using Azure
or other cloud providers IaaS, PaaS and SaaS capabilities. Nice to
have Experience with any of the following: O365, Azure, Azure
Stack, Azure AD
- Functional knowledge of programming scripting and data science
Java, PHP, Ruby, PERL, C++, R, etc.
- Understanding of CI/CD delivery using code management,
configuration management and automation tools such as GitHub, VSTS,
Ansible, DSC, Puppet, Ambari, Chef, Salt, Jenkins, Maven, etc.
- Configuration Management (3 years) - being able to develop
recipes for new solutions to deploy consistent systems, enforce
configurations and settings through configuration management
systems like PowerShell DSC, Chef or Puppet.
- Web Services, API, REST (1-2 years) - Understanding and having
experience with leveraging web services (SOAP), different API
endpoints including the usage of REST based APIs to be able to be
able to build loosely coupled architectures and solutions that are
quick to implement and are easy to monitor.
- Networking (1-3 years) - Have a solid understanding of
networking capabilities, including load balancers, web application
firewalls, network access control lists (NACLs), security groups,
routing, tracing, DNS resolution are key to building efficient and
stable solutions that prevent business downtime and provide high
- Documentation (2-3 years) - Being able to create technical
documents that provide insight into the design and implementation
of a solution provides teams with the ability to effectively
communicate their needs and requirements across the organization.
The candidate has to be able to produce clear and concise
architecture and design documentation that can assist his team and
other peer groups in understanding of the built solutions. The
candidate must also be able to communicate complex technical issues
with sensitivity to diverse audiences and people with different
level of technical understanding that range from entry level
support teams, management, and technical engineering
- Operational Support awareness (5 years) - A good understanding
of what it takes to support the deployed applications and solutions
is key to providing great service to the end users. The candidate
has to be able to put themselves into a position of understanding
of their consumer pain points to be able to figure out creative
ways not only to find quick workarounds but also analyze the root
cause of the problem and come up with ideas of resolving them in
the long term.
- Scripting (5 years) - having knowledge and experience with
Microsoft PowerShell (required) and Linux shell scripting
(preferred). Being able to understand and use best practices of
completing tasks and finding solutions using existing or building
new scripts to help automate today's manual infrastructure and
- Source code management (3 years) - Familiarity with source
control tools such as Git, Team Foundation Server (TFVC), and SVN
are a big part of automation and compliance. Understanding how
these tools are and could be used is key to not only provide the
proper change control management to new versions of products that
are being developed, but also to help provide consistency in
deploying those products/solutions throughout environments using
- Industry Cloud related certifications
- SAFe Certifications
- Azure AZ400 Certification - Highly Preferred
What we offer
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be
rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you
bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package
includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, and
a wide range of paid time off options. Under our flexible vacation
policy, you'll decide how much vacation time you need based on your
own personal circumstances. You'll also be granted time off for
designated EY Paid Holidays, Winter/Summer breaks, Personal/Family
Care, and other leaves of absence when needed to support your
physical, financial, and emotional well-being.
--- Continuous learning: You'll develop the mindset and skills to
navigate whatever comes next.
--- Success as defined by you: We'll provide the tools and
flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
--- Transformative leadership: We'll give you the insights,
coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
--- Diverse and inclusive culture: You'll be embraced for who you
are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please
contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It's yours to build.
EY - Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create
long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in
the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150
countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow,
transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and
transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for
the complex issues facing our world today.
EY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer providing
equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without
regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran
status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in
accordance with applicable law.
Keywords: Ernst Young, Hoboken , Senior DevOps Engineer - Assistant Director Level 1, Engineering , Hoboken, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!